Let’s look at these two types of pools side by side in terms of what they need (maintenance), cost, and other factors. This will help you determine the advantages and disadvantages of each.
FRESHWATER VS. SALTWATER SWIMMING POOL
|Factor||Saltwater Pools||Freshwater Pools|
|Above ground availability||√||√|
|Freeze if left filled in winter||√||√|
|Needs a filtration system||√||√|
|Chlorine to purify the water|| |
Considerably less than freshwater
Sometimes contain too much chlorine.
|Detectible odor of chlorine||√|
- Salt cells will not function (work or be active) below 50 degrees Fahrenheit.
- The salt cell is installed between the filter and the pool.
- Salt water systems do not use chlorine tablets. Instead, a salt chlorine generator converts the salt into active chlorine.
- Ocean water is much saltier than salt pool water. You cannot float or taste the salt.
- Salt systems are better for you because of the lower chlorine content.
- Steel or aluminum above ground pools cannot use salt systems, as it will corrode the pool and eventually destroy it. A resin pool or a vinyl liner are both great for a salt water system.
- Salt water pools need much less maintenance than a chlorine pool, but the installation costs much more.
- Fresh swimming pool water tastes like chemicals.
- Chlorine pools are not as healthy as saltwater swimming pools because of the reduction in chlorine exposure. High chlorine exposure leads to a greater cancer risk, eye and skin irritation, and can damage hair and clothing.
- Chlorine pools require considerably more maintenance than salt water pools.
- While the installation of a salt water pool is much more expensive, upkeep on a chlorine pool can be much higher.
- Fresh water pool systems can be used with any type of material (stone, glass, metal, aluminum).
- Many times, community or hotel chlorine pools will be overly chlorinated to avoid germs and other build-up.
FRANK WALL ENTERPRISES POOL INSTALLATION
Have you decided on a salt water swimming pool or chlorine pool? Do you want to convert your chlorine pool to a salt water system? Are you simply looking for accessories or pool parts?
Whether for an above ground or inground pool, Frank Wall and his team are the pool experts here for you. Commercial or residential, Frank Wall Enterprises can help you create the ideal pool for the space and setting available.
Are you still feeling confused or unsure about a salt water swimming pool, but are interested in having one installed? This is a great conversation to have with pool experts. The team at Frank Wall has over 30 years’ experience finding the right pool design, products, and accessories for clients with all types of homes and properties.
Contact Frank Wall Enterprises today to get started on your new pool adventure.